Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Advancement

This afternoon, while watching one of our dogs relieve himself in the front yard, my adorable little boy looked up at me and said, "he poop." My heart melted. I replied, my voice raised in excitement and pride, "Yes! He's pooping!"

I'm sure other parents of preemies will identify with the frustration I feel when I read the magazine articles stating, "By now your 2-year-old can recite the prologue to The Canterbury Tales...." No, my 2-year-old can't do that. I know you're not supposed to compare your offspring to others, and especially not if yours was premature (6 weeks premature in our case), but I can't help but be annoyed. Granted, Ender seems to be ahead of the time lime as far as motor skills and physical abilities go; and I know he understands most of everything I say, even though he seems to conveniently forget what "don't touch that!" means multiple times a day.

I guess what I'm saying is, it is such a big deal to me that he's finally turning words into phrases, even if it's only, "he poop."

No comments:

Post a Comment